Thursday, May 5, 2011

What should you really be eating each day?

There are a lot of tough things I'm trying to learn right now, but one chapter I thought would be easier is the nutrition chapter, since it's something I've been teaching myself for the last several years. To some extent it has been, but there are definitely some new things I'm learning about what exactly we should be putting in our bodies every day. The government has had different variations on what it recommends for nutrition. If anyone remembers the "4 basic food groups" policy or the "food pyramid," it looks a lot different than what they are recommending today. It's a good change for sure, but in my opinion, it's pretty hard to do. Example 1: My book says that the government is now recommending 9 servings of fruits and veggies per day (I thought it was 5). Five of these are to be veggies and four are fruit. Does that seem like a ton to anyone else? I find it a bit of a challenge to work in 3 per day personally.

While I am a little skeptical of government given health advice, the new nutrition site is actually pretty cool. You can get a personalized plan based on your specific info and it gives pretty detailed info on what you should eat, etc. I just wish this was more widely publicized so it could get into the hands of people who need it! Check out the website for yourself and see what it tells you to eat: http://www.mypyramid.gov/

No comments:

Post a Comment