Monday, July 11, 2011

Dr. Oz's "Best Times" show

Since I'm home during the day, I try to be on the lookout for interesting topics on "Dr. Oz" or "The Doctors" (word is Jillian Michaels is joining the cast this fall). The other day, I came across a repeat of Dr. Oz that was focused on the best times to do certain activities based on the body's natural rhythms. While I'm not quite sure it will make the difference between losing weight or not losing weight, it doesn't hurt to try it out.

The first "best" was the best time to weigh yourself. Not so surprisingly, it's in the morning right when you get up (after you've gone to the bathroom). Your body has burned calories throughout the night without you eating or drinking, so this is probably the lightest you'll be all day. What was a little surprising to me was that the best time to work out is right after you wake up as well---before you've had breakfast. The theory here is that working out before you've eaten means you'll burn fat rather than whatever food you've just taken in. To me, this goes a little against what I've been told, which is that you should eat 30-60 min before working out. Maybe this doesn't apply because it's first thing in the morning? I'll need to do some more investigating, but if it's true--sounds good to me!  Of course, the old rule of eating breakfast within 60-90 minutes of waking still applies, so I guess this means you'd need to keep your workout to around an hour or less in order to meet that deadline.  Seems like a pretty tight schedule in the AM!

There are a few  more bests in the link below, including best times to eat (not sure I agree with that one) and best times to grocery shop, etc.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/best-time-lose-weight-pt-1?hs317=billboard_2

No comments:

Post a Comment