Sunday, April 17, 2011

Good tortilla substitute

I LOVE Mexican food. Especially fajitas...yum. But I try to stay away from white flour/refined stuff, which is of course what flour tortillas are made from. I've never been a big fan of the whole wheat tortillas, and frankly they are still a little high on calories for me (I want as many fajitas as I can have!). Last year I stumbled upon Joseph's whole grain pitas at Wal Mart that are only 60 calories each for the entire pita! Granted, they don't taste like a flour tortilla but they taste good enough for me, especially when I can have two for the same calories as one tortilla.


They also have some other good stuff in them like oat bran, flax and omega-3's which are good for heart health. They are lower in sodium than regular flour tortillas and have 6 g protein and 4 g fiber to help keep you full. Not sure where else they are available, but you can buy online @ josephsbakery.com. I think if you buy online you have to get 5 packages at a time, but they freeze well and you can use them in place of bread or even pizza dough. I put a tablespoon of pasta sauce, some low fat cheese and veggies on one and throw it in the toaster oven for an under 200 calorie pizza snack, and it is GOOD. Let me know what you think, or if there are any good bread/tortilla alternatives I'm missing out on!

2 comments:

  1. One pita is only 2 ww points on the new system! WooHoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also cut them in half and stuff egg whites and veggies in for a very, very low cal but healthy breakfast

    ReplyDelete