Monday, June 27, 2011

Successful half marathon!

On a personal note, I completed my second half marathon yesterday! It went pretty well--I finished in 2:08, which was right around my goal. There's really nothing quite like training for and finishing a race. If you haven't done it or it's been awhile, I highly recommend it!! Whether you walk, run, bike or swim, it's a way to challenge yourself and stay accountable for your goals. Not only did I get to eat whatever I wanted yesterday (the reward for burning 1300 calories before 9 AM!), but it makes you realize how far your body can go if you have the right attitude and determination to push it there. It definitely is "mind over matter."

I will also say that while training took discipline, I had more mental hurdles while actually running the race. I started out kinda slow and had people passing me left and right. I had moments of discouragement (would I be the last to finish?!), but around mile 5 I got into the zone, started passing people and didn't get passed again. Lots of good lessons learned in that race! I was never a runner in high school or even college, so I fully believe ANYONE can do this. It takes commitment and patience, but it is so worth it!

I also signed up to take my personal trainer exam on July 14 (17 days!) so keep me in your prayers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment